Monday, February 28, 2011

Networked Kids

It is time for a revolution! No i'm not talking about anywhere in Africa or the middle East i'm talking about the classroom. Five years ago, not that long ago, I was in high school. I was in a high school that for a large part seems a far cry from the schools I student teach at today. Before I continue I would like to point out that that school has since my graduation made a great many strides in improving their abilities to take advantage of technological innovations that are present in today's classroom, i merely wish to reflect my experience against those that the students in today's classrooms will have.

In my highschool experience there was a very minimal use of technology. The most extensive projects that I can remember involved either creating a slideshow with powerpoint or researching things in the computer lab. Compare this to today when everyday in the classroom the students have the opportunity to use and be taught with all kinds of technology, Smartboards, Mimeos and Sympodiums. They have the chance to take online courses and be involved in online learning on school websites as well as contribute to collaborative online projects.

The beginning of the revolution has taken place but it is far from over. We must pick up the torch and carry it through to the finish. It is up to each of us to banish the purely lecture based classroom to the history books that we should barely be using anyway. It is time, pick up the torch of technology, interactivity and student involvement, and run.

2 comments:

  1. Like the last statement - I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone even older and more removed from my high school days, I must say I was surprised in all my placements about the degree to which classrooms have changed to incorporate IT. Now when I think of it, I can't imagine how we could claim to be teaching our students relevant skills without computers and the Internet in the classroom. I agree with everything you said, it is clear we are heading in the right direction, but this class has shown we aren't there yet.

    ReplyDelete