Friday, February 25, 2011

Online Learning

While i definately agree that online learning is nothing but a beneficial thing it cannot replace f2f instuction and hands on learning. Online learning is good for those learners who can learn well simply by using a book and their own brain for those kinetic or visual auditory learners it is not the best choice. I may be slightly biased to this as i am a kinetic and visual learner but there are definately advantages of online learning. To those students in smaller centers online learning provides opportunities for classes and subject areas that they may not have had material to take or the number of teachers to teach some classes. For some classes online learning is obviously more difficult and the material of the class cannot be learned proberly. These include classes where practical application of skills is needed, such as home ec., wood shop or mechanics. For myself, note that for myself, I know i will not learn things such as chemistry or English as well if there are not other students around or a teacher. In highschool i bounced ideas off of other students and the teacher in English. In chemistry I learned much better when i could do the experiments. I would not be able to benefit as welll from online learning as students who can learn simply from reading.

2 comments:

  1. It is a balancing act where some students need a person to teach them certain elements and others just need a bit of direction and undertake it themselves. It is great for the students to have choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point that it's not just the student and the type of learner they are. It can very easily be about the material/class in question. I know for myself, I have to be aware of what kind of learner I am too. I've found that I'm more likely to teach a class in the way I would like to have in taught to me... but I'm getting better at switching it up!

    ReplyDelete